[Yaesu] Which FT1000 model to buy?

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] Which FT1000 model to buy?
From: w4zw@home.com (Jon, W4ZW)
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 16:02:12 -0400
I have both the FT-1000D and the FT-1000MP here.  Have also used the FT-990
for about a year while I was in Russia when my FT-1000D wasn't available.

First let me say that I loved my Kenwood TS-930SAT until I used the FT-1000D
side by side.  Sold the Kenwood in a heartbeat.  I prefer the FT-1000D,
especially the receiver section.  It just seems more sensitive with a better
noise floor than the MP.  Right now I have both set up with the MP as my 2d
rig.  The switch was hard for me because I have used Kenwood gear for a long
time.  I did pick up a TS-950SDX and SM-230 which I use in digital mode and
to  monitor band activity.  I personally think the TS-950SDX is the best
radio for the money on the used market.  The 950SDX suffered from the
reputation of the 950S and 950SD and it is truly a great radio.  If I were
buying a used radio, I would rank them TS-950SDX, FT-1000D, and FT-1000MP.
If I were buying them new, I would rank them FT-1000D, FT-1000MP, and ICOM
756.  Just sold my ICOM 756 which I really liked.  My club used it for this
past Field Day and everyone loved it.  In fact, one friend loved it so much
he made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

I operate primarily CW so you have to factor in that as well.  I think for
SSB, the ranking would be TS-950SDX or ICOM 775DSP, FT-1000MP, and the
FT-1000D.  For CW, FT-1000D, FT-1000MP, TS-950SDX, and ICOM 756.  I had the
775DSP and just didn't like it on CW but it was a great SSB rig.

BTW, the reason I have so much experience with these rigs is because I was
CEO of the Radio Shack franchise in Russia where we were the HRO/AES of
Russia for the ham lines.  I got to use just about all the rigs/antennas
during my 6 years there.  My DX-pedition favorite was the ICOM 736, small,
compact, built-in multipurpose PS, and great receiver section.  Same could
be said for the FT-900CAT but it needed a power supply.

There, I think I've muddied the water enough.

Jon Hamlet, W4ZW
Casey Key Island, Florida

"A little bit of paradise in the Gulf of Mexico"