[Yaesu] Anyone with FT-100 impressions?

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] Anyone with FT-100 impressions?
From: w2ki@amsat.org (John Hirth)
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 09:00:00 -0400
Has anyone on the list gotten an FT-100? If so, would you please share
your impressions?

I'm in the market for a small HF/V/U mobile/backup rig and my first
thought is an FT-100 to complement my FT-1000MP, but the ICOM 706MKIIG
is also a contender. The QST reviews pointed out many of the pros and
cons of each model, but for me it is not a clear cut decision.

I've played a little with both rigs at HRO. The Icom FEELS a little more
substantial (at least as far as the tuning knob goes, the FT's is pretty
small and the finger depression "spinner" is very small and essentially
useless). The mike jack is not on the FT's removable control head, so if
you split the rig for mounting in the car, you need to run a separate
cable to the rig body from the mike. You also need the special mike for
the FT100, and can't put any other audio into the mike jack. Also I do a
lot of digital modes (HF/VHF) and being limited to the FT's AFSK-in jack
is just a little constraining.

The rig will be used primarily mobile and portable in my small travel
trailer. I'd welcome any first hand impressions to help me make up my
mind.

Many thanks and 73,
John W2KI