[Yaesu] FT-900CAT/MFJ-5383-YB

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-900CAT/MFJ-5383-YB
From: aa8u@modempool.com (Bruce Lallathin)
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 12:29:30 -0500
--=====================_1979691==_.ALT

The MFJ cable might work fine using some specific software that I don't
have and have no use for. It won't work with WriteLog, CT, or NA. All of
which speak thru the com port to my rig just fine, as long as the interface
is the Yaesu FIF-232 and NOT the MFJ cable.

I don't see why MFJ went to all the trouble to produce an interface cable
that apparently isn't compatible with the most widely distributed and
commonly used logging/rig control software. My thought is, they just wanted
another product to add to their list of somewhat useful junk that people
like me would snap up thinking it would actually do something useful.

I got took, again. But, all but the re-stocking fee and my shipping costs,
and credit card interest, and my time, is not lost. I'm returning it for
refund.

I inspected the innards of the 9pin D-connector on the MFJ cable. Nothing
seemed out of sorts. One chip can't be expected to do the same job as the
more complex Yaesu FIF-232 interface....or maybe Yaesu would have done it
that way to start with.

Then again, I could be all wet. It wouldn't be the first time.

73,
Bruce
AA8U

=========================

--=====================_1979691==_.ALT

that I don't have and have no use for. It won't work with WriteLog, CT,
or NA. All of which speak thru the com port to my rig just fine, as long
as the interface is the Yaesu FIF-232 and NOT the MFJ cable. <br>
I don't see why MFJ went to all the trouble to produce an interface cable
that apparently isn't compatible with the most widely distributed and
commonly used logging/rig control software. My thought is, they just
wanted another product to add to their list of somewhat useful junk that
people like me would snap up thinking it would actually do something
useful. <br>
I got took, again. But, all but the re-stocking fee and my shipping
costs, and credit card interest, and my time, is not lost. I'm returning
it for refund. <br>
I inspected the innards of the 9pin D-connector on the MFJ cable. Nothing
seemed out of sorts. One chip can't be expected to do the same job as the
more complex Yaesu FIF-232 interface....or maybe Yaesu would have done it
that way to start with. <br>
Then again, I could be all wet. It wouldn't be the first time.<br>
73,<br>
Bruce<br>
AA8U<br>
=========================<br>
At 03:39 PM 3/15/00 +0000, you wrote:<br>
I believe I led you down this path originally, I've had no trouble with
mine<br>
but you may have a duff interface.&nbsp; I had a faulty one for ICOM
which I<br>
returned to my supplier for replacement, when it arrived it worked
fine.&nbsp; I<br>
guess MFJ's quality control isn't all that great with this kind of
product<br>
&lt;g&gt;<br>
cheers, Wayne.<br>
&gt; -----Original Message-----<br>
&gt; From:<x-tab>&nbsp;</x-tab>Bruce Lallathin
[SMTP:aa8u@modempool.com]<br>
&gt; Sent:<x-tab>&nbsp;</x-tab>Friday, March 10, 2000 9:56 PM<br>
&gt; To:<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>yaesu@contesting.com<br>
&gt; Subject:<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>[Yaesu]
FT-900CAT/MFJ-5383-YB<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Have any of you had any success interfacing your PC to the rig with
the<br>
&gt; MFJ <br>
&gt; cables? I have tried NA and WriteLog without getting any good
results.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I know the com port is set right because I can use the Yaesu
FIF-232C with<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; the rig and WriteLog talks to the radio just fine....too bad I can't
run<br>
&gt; it <br>
&gt; on DC in the mobile. That is why I ordered the MFJ cable.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Any of you &quot;been there, done that&quot; ?<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; tnx<br>
&gt; Bruce<br>
&gt; aa8u<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; --<br>
&gt; FAQ on
WWW:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
eudora="autourl">http://www.qsl.net/k7on/yaesu.html</a><br>
&gt;
Submissions:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
yaesu@contesting.com<br>
&gt; Administrative requests:&nbsp; yaesu-REQUEST@contesting.com<br>
&gt;
Problems:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
owner-yaesu@contesting.com<br>
&gt;
Search:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;