[Yaesu] ft-51r mod for 800 mhz

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] ft-51r mod for 800 mhz
From: kb9mci@qsl.net (Bryan Fields)
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 01:41:36 -0600
Hi all,

I have just received a document from a friend in Japan, that is the
schematic and parts list for the ft 51.  The interesting thing is that this
lists the parts that are different on the 440 MHz board between the jap
version and all other country models of the HT.  The jap version of the radio
has 800 MHz receive in it, but in the American version there are about 15
parts missing off the 440 MHz board.

Many people are familiar with the easy mod the open up the radio from 60-999
MHz, but you must be right on top of something for it to rx between 700-999
MHz.

the reason this happens, is there are switching transistors missing in the
radio, that would switch incoming rf into a preschooler.  If the transistors
are replaced, then the radio should receive 900 MHz with out a problem.

I will be posting a follow up if the mod works once I get the parts in the
mail.  I also have some close up pictures of the board in the radio, that I
will try to scan and post to the Internet, when I get a chance.

Also let me know if you are interested in this.  I wont waste my time
scanning and putting this up on the web if no one is interested in the mod.

73's to all,

Bryan

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and the

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the
argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
--William Pitt, 1783

And just 'cus I am a Pyro,

"Nonflammable is not a challenge"
--Bart Simpson