[Yaesu] FT-101 (E, dx, ZD) Power Cable

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-101 (E, dx, ZD) Power Cable
From: sbbloom69@yahoo.com (Stuart Bloom)
Date: Wed Jun 11 11:05:00 2003
Hi (re-sent to the list),

  I don't know if this is relevant or not.  I have a

  FT-101E and a FTdx-100.  They both use a similar

  "cinch  jones" type of rectangular plug.  It looks

  similar to your drawing.  This plug arrangement
allows

  the one connector on the radio to be used by both
the

  AC cable and the DC 12v cable.  This rectangular
cable

  end has power connections AND appropriate jumpers to

  route AC power to the transformer, and DC power to
the

  built in DC / AC inverter that these rigs use when

  using DC.

  I have heard horror stories over and over again

  because some owner bought a stock cinch jones

  connector here in the US and wired their own cable.

  Apparently, Yaesu's connector is numbered and wired
in

  "mirror image" fashion from the cinch jones
connector.

   If you follow the numbers and not the physical

  positions, YOU WILL BLOW UP THE INVERTER and maybe

  worse.  This is exactly how I got my FTdx-100 radio.

  Luckily, I was able to rebuild the transistor
inverter

  circuit.

  So, BE CAREFUL  if you roll your own.

  I agree that, short of finding a real stock cable,

  find someone who has one and be meticulous about

  copying it using physical connector locations.

  Good luck,

  Stu

  KD5HVO

  --- Carol L Maher <w4clm.ham@juno.com> wrote:

  > Brian,

  > I'm sending this to you again because I got a
bounce

  > on it.

  > ----------

  > This is basically all I can tell you about the

  > FT-101ZD power

  > connector.  Here is a rough drawing from what I

  > know.

  > I opened the back of the power plug just so I
could

  > double check the connections and numbering on my

  > plug.

  > It's a good thing I did, because it was just

  > opposite

  > of what I thought it would have been when looking
at

  > the

  > schematic.

  > Pin #2 GREEN  ground connection from your wall
plug.

  > Pin #3 BLACK  AC from line plug

  > Pin #4 WHITE   AC from line plug

  > This is the actual plug wiring from my working

  > Yaesu plug for my FT-101ZD.

  > Note: If you look at this plug from the rear, the

  > numbering

  > looks backwards from what you would think if you

  > looked at the

  > schematic by itself.  That will not really hurt
when

  > it comes to pin #3 &

  > But it could put the ground (Green) on pin 1 Vs.
pin