[Yaesu] Mods, etc.

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] Mods, etc.
From: w3uls@3n.net (John Rippey)
Date: Thu Aug 7 22:44:07 2003
Toni, OH2UA has asked about mods for the Mark V transceivers. My advice is
that if its a recent vintage serial number, that no mods are needed.

I've owned two Mark V's, and the second was distinctly better in its CW
keying envelope bandwidth. I suspect from this experience that Yaesu does
note customer comments/complaints and makes changes, but it does not
announce them.

Also, I've owned two FT-920's. The first one had a poor receiver front end,
which collapsed in the presence of multiple strong signals as in CW
contest. My second one, which has a later serial number, has a much
improved receiver (I'm using the INRAD 400 Hz CW filter). It also has a
narrower keying bandwidth, even better than the keying bandwidth of the
second Mark V I owned.

The reason I now have the second FT-920 as my dedicated CW rig is that I
think the radio is just about perfect for CW operating, with all controls
and necessary information at hand. The Mark V I found to be grumpier, if
you will. Of course, the Mark V receiver's front end was bullet proof but I
can give up the last mile of selectivity for the greater operating
convenience afforded by the FT-920.

In short, Toni, look before you leap into any mods.

73,
John, W3ULS