[Yaesu] FT-1000D mains transformers

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-1000D mains transformers
From: "John Nelson" <john@steampower.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 11:28:25 -0000
As mentioned in an earlier mail item, I'm currently looking for a
late-production FT-1000D. Nice examples from the USA sometimes show up on
eBay and it's tempting to consider importing one, especially with the pound
as high as it is against the dollar. However, the service manager of one UK
retail outlet claims that this is a Bad Idea because the mains transformers
are different in European and American items, and that rapid overheating and
expensive failure will result if a rig manufactured for a 60Hz market is
used on 50Hz supplies.

Does anyone have access to the original parts catalogue, or can advise
whether the transformer is actually different? Or is this a piece of
folklore? The specification for my venerable FT-990 indicates that it's
usable on either 50 or 60Hz supplies, but what's the score for the FT-1000D?

Many thanks,

John
GW4FRX