[Yaesu] Soda Pop Splashes FT-1000D

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] Soda Pop Splashes FT-1000D
From: "R. Kline" <k7nj@zahav.net.il>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 18:13:17 -0600
This is really crazy.  During a contest, I opened a can of soda pop and it
splashed onto some of the keys in the keypad area (Bandwidth and Band) of my
FT-1000D.  I cleaned them up and found some "sticky" mechanically, so I
sprayed them with alcohol, and everything worked OK for a while. But then
they began to get sticky again and I cleaned them again.  This was about a
year ago.

More recently, I've found that the keys will get sticky when the weather is
cold, and I was afraid they might need so much force that something could
get damaged mechanically.  So, I got some alcohol and cleaned them again.
At first everything worked fine.  I decided to switch through the various
keys on the keypad rather quickly while spraying to hopefully clean out any
foreign residues that may have gotten into the works.  Suddenly, the
switches didn't respond anymore. The power up "Las Vegas" diagnostic showed
everything OK with the display, so I tried the microprocessor reset(pressing
"sub" and "enter" while switching on). This didn't help either.  The status
at the moment is  that the following groups of keys don't work:  Bandwidth,
Band, the mode select to the left of the main tuning knob, and all of the
horizontal pushbuttons that are in the depression below the tuning knobs
(everything from "Proc" on the left to "vfo/mem" on the right). The other
controls including the VFO tuning seem to work OK.
Questions:
1) Do any of you know something that might help fix this without sending it
for professional service? (My shop manual is still at my previous (4X)
QTH).?

2) Assuming that I'm not able to overcome this difficulty, where is the best
placed to send the FT-1000D for service (please include telephone or email
info if you have it)?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
73,
Riki