[Yaesu] FT-920 ultimate rejection (blow by)

To: yaesu@contesting.com
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-920 ultimate rejection (blow by)
From: "Cortland Richmond" <ka5s@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 10:18:47 -0800
I had read, of course that there was a blow-by issue with the 920's, but
when I found a good deal on one I went ahead anyway.  For the 2005 CW Field
Day I installed an Inrad 400 Hz CW filter and together with the DSP that
did, as reports said it should, quite a good job.

Recently, I measured the selectivity of my 920's filters and the ultimate
rejection really is poor.

400 Hz filter:

+/-KHz  dB
0               0
0.31            -3
0.44            -6
0.49            -10
0.59            -20
0.64            -40
1.56            -50
2.00            -60

The CW filter skirts get a lot wider after 40 dB down and though I couldn't
get below 60 dB down with my signal source, it looks like after that rolls
off only at about 9 or 10 dB per KHz. Put another way, coupling _around_
the CW filter looks like it's only about 34 dB down.

Has anyone on the list modified their 920 to improve this? I have in mind
filter control-line bypassing. and strategic application of copper tape in
the filter area.  Or do I have to spend the money for an Inrad Switchboard?

FWIW, I checked the SSB filter too:

+/- KHz dB
0               0
2.3             -3