Re: [Yaesu] FT1000D Last Production

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Yaesu] FT1000D Last Production
From: "Rob" <k6rb@baymoon.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 12:07:50 -0700
I have two FT-1000s - a D and a non-D. Both are used heavily for contesting.
Both have been extremely reliable. At some point, I will probably buy
another FT-1000 - most likely when everyone else has given up on them
because they can't buy parts. I'll look for one that is in non-working
condition, and use it as a parts "supplier." That will no doubt buy me
another 10 to 20 years of operation.

I used to restore and operate "vintage" ham gear. I had a Viking Valiant,
Ranger, Globe King 500, 75A-4, NC-303, etc. In the case of the Johnson rigs,
the insulated, flexible coupling between the VFO knob and variable capacitor
was out of production for 50 years. When the phenolic got brittle and
cracked (they all do), you could try to find a parts radio, or, in my case,
make a new one out of flexible plastic (I cut one out of a lid for a
tupperware container). It worked better than the original.

Pretty much any transistor that goes bad can be replaced with a suitable
substitute. ICs are a different story. That's why it's good to have a parts
rig to draw from. Just be resourceful.

Rob K6RB