Re: [Yaesu] java or linux tool for VX-5R clone file

To: yaesu@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Yaesu] java or linux tool for VX-5R clone file
From: kd4e <kd4e@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 13:14:58 -0400
 > mikea wrote:
>> Has anyone ported eve to java?
>> Has anyone ported eve to linux?
>> Is there a java or linux tool to edit the VX-5R clone file?
>>
>> I have no ready access to Windows nor pascal, so the eve-1.7.0 code is
>> inconvenient.
>> vxu-0.5.0 can upload and download the VX-5R clone file (using RS-232 to
>> RS-422 converter and hex TTL inverter).
>
> Can you run Wine or VMWare under your Linux, and eve under that
> emulator? That might well solve your problems. I'm pretty sure
> Wine is free, and was told yesterday that older flavors of VMWare
> are free now. I understand from WB5UDE, a Linux user, that lots of
> useful Windows-only code runs nicely under Wine.

Using WINE or VMWare does cover the inadequate coding
skills of some programmers who appear to be unable to
make their apps cross-platform compatible.

It does inject an additional level of complexity that
is best avoided if possible by running native Linux
apps.

A quick search using http://clusty.com "yaesu vx-5r linux"
yielded these results:

http://www.dxzone.com/catalog/Software/Radio_Control/
Easy VX-5R Editor - The Yaesu VX-5R editor
http://radio.linux.org.au/?sectpat=rigcontrol&ordpat=title
Vxu             0.5.0
2003/09/19      Vxur and vxuw are command line utilities that allow reading
and writing the memory of the Yaesu/Vertex Standard VX-5R HT and
FT-817/FT-857 in "clone" mode.
http://wa5znu.org/
He is writing psk31 software under Linux and owns a VX-2R,
perhaps he has knowledge of a good app for the VX-5R?

HTH ...

--

Thanks! & 73,
doc, KD4E