[Yaesu] Yaesu Parts availability

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] Yaesu Parts availability
From: "Jim Sullivan" <jims@psws.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 11:50:36 -0800
I would like to hear waht other Yaesu users experience has been in regards
to the following 2 issues.
I have a G800SA rotator that has a bad  indicator pot in the outdoor rotator
head unit.

Called Yaesu parts to get a replacement
They gave me the part number and price.

Yaesu G800SA rotor pot Q9000420  part# A9710   $28.95

When I tried to order this part they informed me that the part was no longer
available.
They also informed me that there is no replacement part number.

I am DISAPPOINTED that Yaesu is selling a current product for which
replacement parts are not available.
It seems like you would be a fool to buy this rotor. I think the G1000
series also uses this same pot.
Maybe best to avoid all Yaesu rotors!

Does anyone have any ideas on how to replace this part?
The pot is a 500 Ohm wire wound pot that has a 1/4" shaft the circularly
turns 400 degrees.
The pot has an open back with a short wire going thru the opening to connect
to the slider.
The wire actually winds up as you turn the pot thru the 400 degrees.
===================================

I have several ft1000 series radios and I find they are the best radios for
my operating style.
I have an FT1000MP Mark-V that has been eating memory backup batteries.
There are 2 microprocessors
that draw current from this battery when the power is off.
I think one of the processors is drawing too much current.
When I called Yaesu I also found these microprocessors are no longer
available.
Yaesu will sell me a replacement board for $350+.
After looking around on the web, I found that these processors were 'end of
life' by the manufacturers many years ago.
This means that the manufacturer stopped making the part.
They usually inform users of the 'end of life' well in advance and offer a
last buy opportunity.
I hope the ft2000 and ft9000 do not use these 'end of life' parts

It seems Yaesu is using old designs well beyond parts availability.
This makes it hard for us to repair this fairly recent gear.

Jim W7EJ