[Yaesu] RF quiet computers

To: dx-list@yahoogroups.com, cq-contest@contesting.com,ft-100@yahoogroups.com, icom@mailman.qth.net, yaesu@mailman.qth.net,yaesu@contesting.com
Subject: [Yaesu] RF quiet computers
From: John Geiger <n5ten@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 09:36:32 -0800 (PST)
Recently, I discovered how RF noisy my fairly recent
ebay purchased laptop is (an Acer Pentium III).  It
replaced a Micron Pentium 120mhz computer which was
very quiet on the radio, but also kind of slow, and I
thought a laptop would be nice in the shack because it
would mean less wires, etc.

I find that it really raises the noise floor on 80,
somewhat on 40, and on parts of 20 and 15.  It is
probably bad on other bands as well, but I really
haven't experimented with them yet.

So I probably need to get a replacement, unless anyone
knows how to kill this noise. What are some good, RF
quiet computers to look at? I don't have alot of money
to spend, but can come up with a little bit.  Speed
probably won't be that important, as long as I can use
it for some of the digital modes.  The Micron
unfortunately died, or I would hook it back up.

73s John AA5JG