Re: [Yaesu] FW: Mark V progress

To: yaesu@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Yaesu] FW: Mark V progress
From: Jimk8mr@aol.com
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 09:33:30 EST

A friend recently acquired a used FT-1000 MK V, which arrived with a  problem
with the power output. I've been volunteered to diagnose, so thought I'd  ask
if anyone has ever run into such a situation.

As reported to me:

Last week I bought another Mark V, intending to  replace my 1997-vintage MP.
I got it, but it only produces around 40  watts, all bands (except when the
radio is put in Class A mode).  The  seller has offered to pay for repairs or
to take the radio back and refund all  money.  Anyway, I'd be amazed if you
have suggestions without looking at  the radio.

<snip of unrelated stuff>

I did spend some time with the Mark V last night and this  morning, but had
no success in puzzling out what is going on.  I did the  full reset and
eliminated all connections other than the wattmeter (Bird) and  dummy load
(Bird).
The output is still around 40 watts most bands.   Interestingly, the output
increases to around 70 watts when the "Class A"  button is pushed.

I switched power supplies with one of the Mark V p/s already  here, but that
also did not work.  I opened up the radio and checked  visually, but did not
see any problems.  The "switch" on the AF  board, was set for "100W", not
"50W".  (This board is the same as  the MP, and they did not change the label
when
they went to the Mark V.)   I also checked the Maximum Power pot on the AF
board, but this was set about  the right place and turning it did not
appreciably
increase the output.   (I was hoping that one of those two things might be
the culprit.)

73  -  Jim  K8MR

Awards. Go to AOL Music.