Re: [Yaesu] 897D won't stay on.

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Yaesu] 897D won't stay on.
From: "Privacy4me2" <privacy4me2please@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 21:41:28 +0100
I guess I did only reach Roger......
Now for all contesting.com

If your 897 only siwitches for one second. Hearing relais switching, dsiplay backlight flashing. There is a big chance there is a short in the 8V circuit. I had two radios with a defect capacitor, unfortunatelt there are about 20 of these capacitors which in are all kind of parallel to each other. Finding the shorted cap wil take unsoldering a lot of caps. I simply ran quite a large current (8V 0.5A) directly coupled to the 8V regulator output. This is a dangerous way, but the only way your short will heat-up and show it self.

This dangerous trick is described on mods. dk website.

Regards,

  Edwin PE1PWF