Re: [Yaesu] life of the FT-1000d going forward

To: "yaesu@contesting.com" <yaesu@contesting.com>, Mac McCullough <w5mc@austin.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Yaesu] life of the FT-1000d going forward
From: <chacuff@cableone.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 01:39:32 +0000
Mac it’s not much different than many of the older radio’s.  Some parts are no
longer available from Yaesu but that doesn’t mean the radio is not repairable.
There are a few folks that specialize in some of the higher end Yaesu’s.  The
FT-1000D is a great radio...a classic.  I’ve thought about buying one myself.
The APF used in the CW mode is the best around and the receiver is great.  Just
be sure you don’t over pay for the radio.  I wouldn’t give more than
$1200-$1400 for one today and it would have to be in good shape functioning
normally at that price.

As far as parts...I know the finals transistors are no longer available from
Yaesu but there may be replacements.  The same issue exists for the FT-1000 MKV
but I recently replaced some for a friend that were replacements that required
a minor bias change and they worked great.

The fans get noisy but it’s usually hardened grommets that are used for
isolation.  Sometimes they have come apart but not often.  Beyond that I don’t
know much about any real pattern failures.

I’d say go for it.

Cecil

K5DL