[AMPS] good, bad, ugly

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] good, bad, ugly
From: n4uq@mindspring.com (Dick Byrd)
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 16:20:05 -0500
>I would like to purchase the kaput/shorted tubes from these amplifiers,
>Dick.  I plan on removing the anodes from them to see what went wrong on
>the insides.  I intend to publish photographs of the insides on the
>Internet so that everyone can have the opportunity to see what happened.
>If you are agreeable to selling me the kaput tubes, please telephone me
>collect so we can make a deal.

Rich I shall be happy to donate some dud 8877's to science.
I tried to sell some for $5 as paperweights at the hamfest last
weekend...nobody wanted them.  I gave one to a friend but I still have three
which I will send you.  One of them is from my amplifier.  It only ran for a
few months (it was a Medical Pull).
The cathode developed a short to ground (to the grid I suppose) and removed
all bias causing plate current to flow as soon as the bottle warms up a
little.  There is no short until the tube is lit.  I see that scenario alot
in 8877's. I can actually clear the short but only for one use.  Next time
you fire it up, it's shorted again.

I think my bad bottle was just a bad bottle.   My operating practices have
stayed the same and the pair on line now has been running for over 5 years.
I have alot of filament hours on my personal tubes because of the 3-minute
warm-up.  Once I crank up the amp, it usually stays on the entire day....I
still need a few countries, hi.

>RE:  the 80 series Alpha amplifiers:  Sure, the warranty is
>superb---however, at least a third of the owners that I talked to have
>had sudden, unexplained failures during the warranty period.  IMO, this
>rate of return is a bit too high, Dick.
>
>R. L. Measures, [805]386-3734

Well, I have alot of sympathy for any company and it's new product.  It just
ain't that easy to build an amplifier or broadcast transmitter or high-speed
modem or jet engine...and have it work flawlessly in the field right out of
the box.
Placing PIN diodes in place of the T/R relay was a bold move.  The folks who
make PIN diodes (the ones that work), tell me the ones ETO began using early
in the game, simply were not robust enough.  Since they were talking to the
same fellow I spoke with, and since they must have read the same data I was
supplied, they must have fixed the problem....time will tell.
73, Dick