[AMPS] Swinging Choke Theory

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Swinging Choke Theory
From: phil@vaxxine.com (Phil T. (VA3UX))
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 19:11:39 -0500
I think they were mistaken if they thought they had a "tuned swinging
choke" Phil.  They either had a swinging choke (which isn't tunable),   or
they had a tuned choke which is a single value inductor (not swinging),
tuned by by a parallel capacitor.  When we all hashed the tuned choke idea
here on the reflector back several months ago, I think the consensus was
that a tuned choke wasn't worth the effort and of questionable value for
amateur service amps (because of the intermittent operation).

The swinging choke is still a perfectly good idea and more appropriate for
amateur service specifically due to the intermittent nature of amateur
service.  The only drawback that I can see is the minimum bleeder current
requirement needed to maintain the inductance when the amp isn't in
transmit (ie. drawing full load current).  This can amount to a few hundred
watts of wasted power (and heat to dissipate).

Phil T.