[AMPS] resistors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] resistors
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 17:07:45 -0700
We all know of wattage ratings for resistors - I'm interested in specs on
>the
>voltage ratings of large resistors.

?  depends on the unit.   Globar makes some energy absorbing resistors
with much capability.

>2 watt carbon resistors and 1 watt
>carbon film resistors are rated at 500 volts.  I presume that is to limit
>the voltage gradient

?  True

>or stress across the resistor so that it doesnt act as a
>fuse or firecracker.  What about large resistors often used as bleeders on
>hv power supplies?

The most reliable bleeder/equalizer resistor I have run into is a MOF
type made by Matsushita.  We have sold over 6000 100k-ohm 3w units with
no failures reported.  The max. rating is 500v (2.5w max.).  If one is
not sure of the capabilities of a resistor,  measure the current vs.
voltage very carefully with a DMM.  .  As long as current does not
increase faster than voltage, no internal breakdown is taking place.

>I use 200 watt resistors in series and have never had any
>problems.  I assume they can stand hv due to their long length,

?  good point.  However, high bleeder current is definitely not justified

>about 10"
>long, to spread out the voltage gradient.  Does anyone have any specs on
>their actual voltage rating? 73 Bob W7LR

depends on the resistance.  200w c. 100k-ohm ww resistors do not have a
reputation for high reliability.  My guess is that the wire is pretty
flimsy.  This is probably why they are typically not rated for 200w of
actual dissipation.

cheers, Bob

end