Re: [Amps] Mains Isolation Transformer

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Mains Isolation Transformer
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 10:55:40 -0700
On Sat, 1 Jul 2006 18:34:33 +0100, David Lisney wrote:

>A point was made that the shack earth should not be part of the aerial, this
>seems commendable common sense, however in a typical situation (like mine) I
>have an HF transceiver which has it mains safety ground carried via the
>chassis to the ground of the aerial socket, the outer of the coax carries
>this ground to my "RF" ground at the feedpoint of the aerial.

Safety codes in most countries, as well as good engineering practice, REQUIRE
that the chassis of all equipment connected to mains power be bonded to
"safety ground" or "safety earth" -- that is, the "earth" or "ground" pin on
power outlets. The purpose of this connection is to trip a breaker or blow a
fuse in the event of equipment failure that causes the chassis to become
"hot," thus protecting people from shock, and to prevent fires.

The administrator has decided that your noise issues ought to be discussed on
the RFI reflector, and as a subscriber to that reflector, I agree. But the
SAFETY aspects of your misunderstanding are, IMO, a reasonable topic for at
least a clarification.

For a thorough discussion of power systems and safety, see

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/SurgeXPowerGround.pdf

Tom Rauch has also given you excellent advice.

Jim Brown K9YC