Re: [Amps] again

To: Roy Koeppe <royanjoy@ncn.net>,Amps Reflector <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] again
From: Peter Chadwick <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 10:31:13 +0200 (CEST)
Roy said:
>you are indeed adjusting for an impedance match of the tube and
the load and for maximum efficiency all at the same time <

This gets perilously close to igniting that argument about whether or not you
provide a conjugate match to the tube. Since most linear amps are around 50%
efficient, the answer would appear to be 'yes', although not intentionally.
Something I've never figured out or had explained to me is how you can have
much higher efficiencies than 50% if you do achieve a conjugate match.......So
I've always gone along the route of providing an optimum load impedance.

73
Peter G3RZP