Re: [Amps] Arc distance and plasma

To: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Arc distance and plasma
From: "Steven Cook" <sccook1@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 16:34:57 -0700
Tom, et al.,

The 3-500Z's in my TL-922 both exhibit a purple "plasma" above the top of
the plate inside the glass envelope.  The intensity seems to change with
plate voltage (CW vs. SSB) setting.  Also with frequency.  Does not seem to
affect tube function -- output power about 1300W with 100W input.

Is this due to gas inside the tube.  Will it eventually getter out?  Does
the presence of this gas have a deleterious effect on the tube life
expectancy?

Thanks in advance...

Steve (((WG7K)))