[Amps] Much heat, much smoke, zero light generated

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Much heat, much smoke, zero light generated
From: randy@verizon.net
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 01:03:02 -0500
Referencing the post below, firstly and foremost, I am NOT picking on the
poster.
Or anybody else, specifically, although I must ask that the reader try to bear
that
in mind throughout this post, as, it may seem so. And it's possible that I'm a
big,
fat liar too, so, bear that in mind if you think it's appropriate.

Firstly, I'm not nearly as old or as qualified as many of the old gummers
battling
things out here, so if that loud clicking noise I'm hearing is the old gummers
hitting
the delete key, right now, it's  OK w/me. I'll just wait for them to croak
before
bashing them. I'm 47 and have been a ham 30+ years.... NO, the FCC database
does NOT
reflect that, and a search for WD4CRP has thus far been fruitless for me, but
that
was my Novice callsign. I did not mean to imply that everyone older than me is
hitting
the delete key; just that I don't particularly care if intolerant folks of any
learned
age want to delete me, especially if they think my lack of qualifications make
my
opinion insignificant.

Nextly...the party of the first part sez he's cranked out about a bazillion 6M
mod'ed
amps over the course of....X years. With performance figures of: X watts, Y
IMD, w/part
number Zz-??? in the final dep't.

I'd point out that..."if" he'd sold items that failed to produce what he said
that they
would produce...it is HIGHLY PROBABLE that, given the number of units stated
and the
number of years involved... at least ONE unsatisfied customer would have found
THIS forum
and said something like "He sold me a POS that failed to (fill in the blank).
Even if
the Moderator wanted to protect him for some incomprehensible reason... there
just ain't
no way of keeping a ham w/internet access from getting the word out.

FURTHERMORE: I "will" point out that, literally, since the first moment that
Amateur Radio
came into existence, by *anybody's* definition, *WE* have...<GASP!> furthered
technology
by steadfastly *ignoring* parameters of active devices, i.e. tubes (valves,
deferring to
the English/English xlation). Tube mfr's engineers, early on, developed ratings
for their
tubes, which "we" promptly ignored and defied and proved wrong...at one point
the tube mfr's
allegedly turned tubes over to hams to figure out what they "really" were good
for.
Same story with "us" getting stuck on wavelengths shorter than 200M. Imagine
talking coast-to-
coast, in broad daylight.... hams...

As to the good-natured post about the Amateur's Code, and us not bashing us
other around as
to what we've all witnessed hereabouts lately: To you, sir, I agree, and I
commend you for
pointing that out. A very respectable way of trying to put an end to friction.
Having said that, though....I got a bit nauseous the last X times I read that
"Code" because
it insists (no idea if it still does or not, but it DID) that the good Amateur
is "Loyal to
the League...".... huh? I can't be a good ham unless I pay dues or otherwise am
"Loyal to the
League"? That "A" in ARRL is "American", and I *am* an American, and that
offends me on its
face. Can you imagine being some poor person in Country X, busting your rump to
get some gear
on the air, squeezing enough moolah together to be able to order ONE book from
the USA to try
to better yourself... and finding out that you gotta be Loyal to the League to
be good? Huh?

What IS good about all this: We're NOT pee-ing all over each other on some
MF/HF/VHF/Beyond
frequency.
What IS bad about all this: everybody is saying "put up or shut up".....
and.....nobody DOES
IT. For all the hours of consternation involved on the involved parties
part...if everybody
just got a job at 7-11 and pooled the funds, bought the hardware and paid to
have it tested..

Frankly, we all know that (fill in the blank... person, mfr's) while generally
is good, has
certainly turned out some real CRAP, and, by that I'm specifically referring to
(Mfr, person),
which had (something wrong, allegedly), which any jackass can see.

73,
Randy
KZ4RV
..