Re: [Amps] current in primary of microwave oven transformer

To: Manfred Mornhinweg <mmornhin@gmx.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] current in primary of microwave oven transformer
From: Angel Vilaseca <avilaseca@bluewin.ch>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 14:04:15 +0200
An interesting explanation of how a MOT compares with other
transformers. Thanks Manfred!

I guess that microwave oven transformers designers also try to use as
little copper as possible, because of its high price.

Measuring the voltage produced by the heating secondary, I found that
the transformers are based on 1 Volt per turn.

When I measured the curent across the primary of the microwave oven
transformers, I increased the voltage gradually.
 From 0 to about 110 V, the curve voltage / current was straight
(linear). But from 110 to 220V, the curve is not linear any more, it is
definitely parabolic. Exactly as predicted:

> At the same time, iron loss will be higher, also
> roughly to the square of flux density.
If we had only de-watted current here, I guess that the current increase
would be linear: voltage across an impedance means a current is
circulating. It's the Ohm's law. So it should be linear.
I did not leave the transformer on long enough, so I didn't notice any
heating.

So knowing all this, what I am going to try is this: two microwave ovens
with their primaries in series. This will decrease magnetic flux. With
both transformers about the same size, voltage should divide evenly
between the two primaries.
The secondaries will also be wired in series, so the total secondary
voltage should remain around 2200 V. These ovens are about 800 W units,
so using 2 transformers  would  be just right for maximum legal power.

As usually, the end of the secondary that is normally connected to the
core will be lifted, isolated and hipoted for safety. I will tie this
two ends together.

Vy 73 de Angel HB9SLV