Re: [Amps] Plate Choke Resonances

To: "Amps@contesting.com" <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Plate Choke Resonances
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 10:13:37 -0800
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 11:09:07 -0500, Tim Long wrote:

> Shorting the choke and with a grid dip meter,

The principal resonance is a parallel resonance with
its own stray capacitance. You should not have to short
anything to see this.

A better way to measure a choke like this may be the
voltage divider circuit that I use to measure ferrite
chokes. You need an RF generator and a good RF
voltmeter (could be a scope -- I use an HP spectrum
analyzer). See my RFI tutorial.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

AND -- as Carl noted, more stray capacitance will be
added when you actually mount the choke and wire it
into the amp.

73,

Jim K9YC