Re: [Amps] Duty cycle for processed SSB in contest conditions?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Duty cycle for processed SSB in contest conditions?
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@wildblue.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 10:01:47 -0800
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:          (may be snipped)

On 2/22/2014 9:25 AM, Conrad Farlow wrote:
The thermal impact of this is quite severe and I am trying to calculate what is acceptable for SSB during a typical contest.

REPLY:

I would recommend you not try to calculate this, but rather measure it directly. Use color-changing paint or crayon and measure the temperature of the tube seals under those conditions. Start off with low power and work up to the point where the tube manufacturer's maximum recommendations are just barely met.

A calculation is only a guess because there are too many unknown variables. The paint or crayon will tell you exactly what you want to know.

73, Bill W6WRT