Re: [Amps] FCC Denies Expert Linears' Request for Waiver of 15 dBRule

To: "Kim Elmore" <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>, "Amps group" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] FCC Denies Expert Linears' Request for Waiver of 15 dBRule
From: "Jim W7RY" <jimw7ry@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 18:24:33 -0600
Are you against capitalism in general too Kim?

73
Jim W7RY

-----Original Message----- From: Kim Elmore
Sent: Wednesday, December 28, 2016 8:12 AM
To: Amps group

I think the idea that the commercialization of ham radio is a bad thing is misguided. Yes, I can -- or in principle should be able to -- make everything that sits on my operating desk, including SDR radios. But I can't do it as cheaply as I can buy it, both in time and materials.

The tube-based amps are by far the most amenable to amateur fabrication. Some examples don't even bother with metal chassis! Solid-state amps are a bit tougher. But I don't think there's anything intrinsically wrong with making prefabricated amps available for purchase nor is there anything wrong with someone making a few bucks off of selling them.

With all that, Paul's observations are spot on. This isn't about money as much as it's about the ramifications of granting a waiver without changing the regulatory structure.

Kim N5OP

"People that make music together cannot be enemies, at least as long as the music lasts." -- Paul Hindemith