Re: [Amps] High Voltage Switching Supply (Bob D.)

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] High Voltage Switching Supply (Bob D.)
From: Facility 406 via Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 10:14:35 -0800
On 3/5/2024 09:20, Victor Rosenthal 4X6GP wrote:
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but a 'feature' of any supply for a microwave oven is that it is designed for a short duty cycle.  A "1500-watt" supply will not provide 1500 watts for amplifying compressed SSB, CW, or digital transmissions over a period of time of more than a few minutes. You would have to derate it and probably provide cooling.

I wouldn't expect no cooling, every oven I've seen/had/scrapped since the late 60's has their supply cooled, some just a fan across the transformer, others, the more powerful ovens, ducted cooling for the power supply.

As recently as last night, I've run mine 18 minutes continuously, then several minute bursts after that. I don't think people talk that long.

Old supplies were nice, around 7-9kV, newer ones are smaller, most labeled in the 4-5kV range, but I haven't checked current in years. The last supply I really studied for a project was 4kV at one ampere.

Unfortunately, due to bad storage conditions, I disposed of about a dozen transformers going back to the 1970's, last year, but still have around a dozen more. The nice thing is, there's a near-constant supply, one just has to bother picking up old ovens off the street, or ask around. The down side is, a lot of ovens are filthy.

Kurt