RFI

[RFI] Re: rfi-digest V1 #102

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Re: rfi-digest V1 #102
From: James L. Keyes" <jkeyes@mtnhome.com (James L. Keyes)
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 11:51:07 -0600
Frank:
Can't comment on G5RV, but ran into same problem with hand-clap lamp.
FCC says that such devices are not their problem! I looked inside and
found that the thing is a high-gain AF amplifier with a tight audio
filter on the front end. Only sounds in the 1800-2200HZ range seemed to
get through. Lamp base is plastic and circuitry is unshielded! I put
ferrite beads on the AC input, mike and lamp leads, then dipped the
whole board in epoxy potting compound. After it set, I wrapped it in
aluminum foil. Wife now has a $60 light which she paid $8.95 for! I'd
like to get the CEO of that outfit to sit in my special chair!
Jim, WA1TQG