RFI

[RFI] PC Reboot Problem

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] PC Reboot Problem
From: P. M. Elliott" <pelliott@flash.net (P. M. Elliott)
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 11:09:16 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0021_01BF1D47.0B8F7DE0

I don't know if this is actually an RFI problem, but wonder if anyone =
here has run into it or has any thoughts.

Occasionally, 2 or 3 times a month, my shack computer reboots when my =
HVAC system comes on.  It's a heat pump system.  Problem occurs summer =
and winter.   Outdoor compressor kicks on first, no problem.  Blower =
comes on half a minute later, PC resets.  Nothing else in the shack is =
affected.  The shack is about 20 feet away from the air handler, and =
about 45 feet away from the compressor outdoors.

I've tried a number of things. Replaced fan control relay. Put a snap-on =
ferrite core around the blower wiring. I also changed to an electronic =
(smart) thermostat along the way, but that made no difference in this =
problem (and thankfully didn't introduce any birdies on the RX).  Broke =
into the thermostat control wiring and put in ferrite wraps at roughly 6 =
foot intervals.  I had already suppressed transmitter RFI to/from the PC =
(I had a reboot problem on 160 TX, and RX birdies elsewhere).  Added =
ferrite to the PC reset button wiring.  Even disconnected the reset =
button for awhile. There is decent surge protection (commercial unit not =
a $9.95 cheapie) on the shack circuit.

It's a bit hard to troubleshoot because I can't replicate the problem at =
will.  Any thoughts appreciated.

73,
Paul N3GPU

------=_NextPart_000_0021_01BF1D47.0B8F7DE0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I don't know if this is actually an RFI problem, but =
wonder if=20
anyone here has run into it or has any thoughts.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Occasionally, 2 or 3 times a month, my shack =
computer reboots=20
when my HVAC system comes on.&nbsp; It's a heat pump system.&nbsp; =
Problem=20
occurs summer and winter.&nbsp;&nbsp; Outdoor compressor kicks on first, =
no=20
problem.&nbsp; Blower comes on half a minute later, PC resets.&nbsp; =
Nothing=20
else in the shack is affected.&nbsp; The shack is about 20 feet away =
from the=20
air handler, and about 45 feet away from the compressor =
outdoors.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I've tried a number of things. Replaced fan control =
relay. Put=20
a snap-on ferrite core around the blower wiring. I also changed to an =
electronic=20
(smart) thermostat along the way, but that made no difference in this =
problem=20
(and thankfully didn't introduce any birdies on the RX).&nbsp; Broke =
into the=20
thermostat control wiring and&nbsp;put in ferrite wraps at =
roughly&nbsp;6 foot=20
intervals.&nbsp;&nbsp;I had already&nbsp;suppressed transmitter =
RFI&nbsp;to/from=20
the PC (I had a reboot problem on 160 TX, and RX birdies =
elsewhere).&nbsp; Added=20
ferrite to the PC reset button wiring.&nbsp; Even disconnected the reset =
button=20
for awhile. There is decent surge&nbsp;protection (commercial unit not a =
$9.95=20
cheapie) on the&nbsp;shack circuit.
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT><FONT size=3D2>It's a bit hard to troubleshoot =
because I=20
can't replicate the problem at will.&nbsp; Any thoughts=20
appreciated.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>73,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Paul N3GPU</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0021_01BF1D47.0B8F7DE0--

WWW:                      http://www.contesting.com/rfi-faq.html