RFI

[RFI] Snap on split beads; coax high-pass filter recommendations

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Snap on split beads; coax high-pass filter recommendations
From: Jon Ogden <jono@enteract.com> (Jon Ogden)
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 19:17:38 -0600
on 12/2/99 9:18 AM, EDWARDS, EDDIE J at eedwards@oppd.com wrote:

> I have tried 77 mix on audio rectification problems from 14 MHz
> signals and it had absolutely no effect.  (I actually thought it might've
> been a little worse!)  Whereas the 43 completely eliminated it using same
> size toroid.
>
> Have you really had good results using 77?

You're right.  Argh!  I get the numbers mixed up.  I think it was type 43
that I bought from Amidon and not type 77 (whatever I bought from them
worked in my house).  According to my chart from Fair-Rite  type 77 is only
good up to about 2 MHz.  I don't know how accurate that is since it says
type 43 is usable up to 10 MHz!  Oh well.

The material though in the split ferrites and so forth that you can buy from
Radio Shack are not type 43.  They are designed more for attenuating VHF
energy which would probably make them type 61 or 68 material.

All these doggone numbers!

73,

Jon
KE9NA