RFI

[RFI] Cable TV Interference

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Cable TV Interference
From: ka5s@earthlink.net (Cortland Richmond)
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 07:29:44 +0800
The FCC limit is not a requirement; it is a maximum. In the event of harmful
interference, the cable company is _supposed_ to work to reduce it.

You can build, buy or borrow a tuned dipole. Use about 11 or 12 dB for the
antenna factor.

(Check out

http://www.ahsystems.com/catalog/data/AF_TDS-535_10meter.html
http://www.ahsystems.com/catalog/data/AF_TDS-535_3meter.html
http://www.itrc.ac.ir/ist-2001/sessions/Sat9.2.pdf
)

Once you have a resonant dipole, with an appropriate antenna factor, add that
factor to your reading in microvolts to determine the microvolts-per-meter
field strength. You can then compare this with what the FCC allows.  While
reading a couple of dB over is not going to be supportable, given the lack of
precision implicit in our measurement method (S meter and approximate antenna
factor), a gross leak may be 10, 20 or even 30 dB over the limits, and it
shouldn't be all that difficult to get someone's attention if you have taken
SOME care with the measurements.

Good luck,

Cortland