RFI

[RFI] Ultrasonic detect. (was: Power line RFI situation)

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Ultrasonic detect. (was: Power line RFI situation)
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 15:15:08 -0500
At 03:05 PM 3/22/02 -0500, Hare,Ed, W1RFI wrote:
>I am such a devil, aren't I? :-)
>
>We don't yet know how well this one will work, so don't spend your money
>yet.  Let's risk ARRL's $200.00 ($200.00 / 165,000 members  = $0.0012 each).
>
>K2QAI has attended RFI Services training seminar (see the link at the end of
>the ARRL's electrical inteference page --
>http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/rfi-elec.html). At that seminar, he found that
>*once you know a pole*, you *may* be able to hear the arc with an ultrasonic
>dish.  If, however, the arc is on the top of an insulator, and you don't
>have perfect "line of site," the ultrasonic noise can be blocked.  The
>results DO have to be interpreted.
>
>For those who can't wait, the company selling the dish is Amazing Products
>and Devices, http://www.amazing1.com.  Scroll down to "ultrasonics."  We are
>lazy, so we bought the assembled unit.

As someone else commented, it's not clear this unit will be sensitive
enough to do the job the $500 units do.

I was looking around the other day, and discovered that Icom makes a
144/440 MHz shirt-pocket handi-talkie (IC-Q7A) that receives AM up to about
330 MHz. with very decent sensitivity specs (.8 uV to 246 MHz, 1.4 uV
247-329 MHz for 12 dB SINAD).  At $125, it strikes me that combining one of
these units with a directive antenna at the highest feasible frequency
would give a unit that would be inexpensive, relatively precise, and not
reliant on sound waves.  Anything wrong with this picture?

73, Pete N4ZR

Check out the World HF
Contest Station Database at
www.pvrc.org