RFI

[RFI] Computer RFI problem

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Computer RFI problem
From: eedwards@oppd.com (EDWARDS, EDDIE J)
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 14:49:23 -0500

        Rob,

        This is exactly the way we have mounted 7 out of 9 of our 800 Mhz
colinear verticals on our 500 foot towers here in Nebraska.  The reason?
Lightning protection/suppression.

        Before I came along and installed Polyphaser suppression on everything,
the previous engr decided one way to cut down on blown-up antennas and damaged
equipment was to invert all of our colinears that are at the top of each tower.
 The problem is that he also added ground strap kits (to the shields) on all
cabling and replaced the Decibel antennas with newer Scalas at the same time.
Inside damage was drastically reduced (due to grd kits or inversion?) and the
new Scalas have held up very well.  So I cannot tell which change helped the
most, but I suspect we're not getting direct strikes as easily as before, and
the ground straps help quite a bit as well.

        Haven't noticed any computer noise, but then the antenna is 500' away
so local CPU/monitor noises probably can't make the long trip.  ;^)

        73,
        de ed -K0iL