RFI

[RFI] Line noise is more than a nuisance!

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Line noise is more than a nuisance!
From: w7ti@dslextreme.com (Bill Turner)
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2002 07:40:36 -0800
On Sun, 01 Dec 2002 07:13:30 +0000, Tom Horton wrote:

>BUT
>  What if there was an emergency of local, state, or national concern and we
>were called on to provide communications for that or another situation and
>the noise impaired our communications ability to the extent that we
>could not be effective.

Then we should move our operations to a noise-free environment.
Think about it for a moment - if your noise had been eliminated
prior to the catastrophe, it would likely come back stronger than
ever when the tornado/hurricane/earthquake/whatever rearranged
the power lines.

And if you're outside the emergency area, trying to receive
communications, then there are others who could do it just as
well or better.

In other words, that argument lacks merit.  Real emergency comm
equipment must be mobile or portable and not line-powered to be
of much use.

Nice try, though.  :-)

Bill, W7TI