RFI

[RFI] Homeplug

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Homeplug
From: ka5s@earthlink.net (Cortland Richmond)
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 13:3:8 -0800
Dale,

Thanks for the links.

One very important issue for us as individual Hams is that no matter how
well suppressed Part 15 devices are for emissions, they can be highly
susceptible to RF we generate. And while we are not required to protect
Part 15 users, we do have to live with them! Just this weekend, I had
a long conversation at the M2 open-house with an Amateur whose neighbor
can't use DSL connection when the Amateur is on the air. This has been
the source of some friction.

Another issue is the impact on short-wave listening. I don't know what
the FCC's legal responsibility is to protecting SW broadcasts. I would
expect it to be much the same as protecting domestic broadcast, if our
treaties mean anything. And this would require additional notches be
designed-in.  WWV reception is supposed to protected, too, but just
try 10 MHz when your neighbor's home 10-baseT Ethernet network is up
and running.

Cortland