RFI

Re: [RFI] high noise level...

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] high noise level...
From: Jim Smith <jimsmith@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 11:45:38 -0700
In all the stuff I've read about current chokes, feedline radiation due to asymmetry, etc. I don't think I've ever seen this possibility pointed out (or thought of it). If coax can pick up RF and reradiate it, why not the rotator cable? (A disturbing thought, why not the tower too? Pretty difficult to wind it in a multiturn coil.)

Looks like another good reason to mount the rotator near the base.

73 de Jim Smith VE7FO

Ian White, G3SEK wrote:

Another possibility is that it might be coming up the rotator cable, and crossing over to the antenna at the top of the tower. Remember, there is actually no "ground" at the top of the tower - there are only "common" connections.