RFI

Re: [RFI] high noise level...

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] high noise level...
From: "Ian White, G3SEK" <G3SEK@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 08:07:08 +0100
Tom Rauch wrote:

In all the stuff I've read about current chokes, feedline radiation due
to asymmetry, etc. I don't think I've ever seen this possibility pointed
out (or thought of it).  If coax can pick up RF and reradiate it, why
not the rotator cable?  (A disturbing thought, why not the tower too?
 Pretty difficult to wind it in a multiturn coil.)

There is a reason you don't hear of that problem much, although I agree it is possible.

The coax connects DIRECTLY to the antenna element.

The Rotor and tower are only close by, and obviously are coupled to the
antenna significantly less than the feeder. This is particularly true when
the antenna is electrically balanced and symmetrical about the tower.

This is why a tiny amount of common mode noise on the shield is a big
problem, and other cables or the tower itself is not.

The stray currents always originate on the outer surface of the coax shield, at the feedpoint... but what happens then can depend on:

* What else the shield is connected to up there. If it's connected to the boom (as in a gamma match) then some of the shield current will flow into the boom, mast and tower, depending on what impedance those offer at the connection point.

* What else the coax is taped closely to. Over the whole height of the tower, there can be enough capacitance through insulated jackets to cause significant currents in other conductors.