RFI

RE: [RFI] Broadcast RFI

To: "rfi" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [RFI] Broadcast RFI
From: "Cortland Richmond" <ka5s@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 12:7:41 -0800
I'll take a guess and say that it isn't propagation, but temperature and
the "rusty bolt" effect. I imagine that somewhere nearby there is a
conductor which as the temperature falls each year contracts enough to
bring an oxidized surface near another conductor, or possibly a ground.
Could be a loose fitting. You get tech idea. When that happens, the locally
strong currents induced from local AM broadcasters mix in the inadvertently
created diode.

Since it isn't front end overload, reducing AM BC signals at the receiver
won't make any difference. Time to take out a portable radio and sniff
around, I think.  If no other ham hears this, it may be on your own
premises.

My wife's family was in Austin, and I spent some years at Fort Hood as a
soldier, and later near Fort Worth as a civilian. Might go back if anyone
hires me there (grin).

Mind the ice storms.

Cortland