RFI

Re: [RFI] My power line noise problems, revisited (Warning,thisislong!)

To: aa6dx@pacbell.net, RFI@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] My power line noise problems, revisited (Warning,thisislong!) No...
From: n0tt1@juno.com
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 03:02:27 +0000
> Hmmm .. I find that interesting.  I have long been a "pole thumper" ...
can
> you tell me of ONE instance a ham person was "lethallized" by clanging
on a
> power pole?  Not saying what you type is not true, but .. I don't
personally
> believe that for a moment, and wanna learn!
> 73 de AA6ÐX

I have'nt heard about anyone recently...thank goodness!

But, sure, go ahead and thump the poles if you must...and by the way
that's
not your property or my property to thump....hi  :))

And then there is this that was posted on the RFI reflector regarding
the thumping, etc of power poles...its from Ed, K0IL, who is an RFI
investigator for a large metropolitan area power company:
  "PLEASE!  I really suggest NOT doing this.  The worst that could happen
is
  that you could be killed by a falling power line or heavy hardware.
The
  least is that you could cause a power outage, and then just try to get
your
  neighbors to cooperate in searching their house for the noise source,
and
  they'll certainly have a bad view of "that ham" who caused the outage!"

Take a look at one of the photos in the  "AC Power Interference Handbook"
available from the ARRL....It shows a powerline being held up by a single
strand of wire.

In my rural area, some power lines were installed during WWII.  They used
IRON wire and that wire is still up there, but it is rusting in some
areas...enuf said!

73,
Charlie
N0TT