RFI

Re: [RFI] BPL--FCC Proposed Rules//We Need to Respond

To: "N6KJ" <kelly@thejohnsons.ws>, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] BPL--FCC Proposed Rules//We Need to Respond
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 15:43:25 -0500
At 12:32 PM 3/5/04 -0800, N6KJ wrote:
The BPL proponents continue to insist that power lines will not radiate
like an antenna and that their equipment appears as a "point-source"
radiator.  If that's true, then why is it possible to place an AM
BC band radio near the electrical outlet in a dorm room and receive a
low-voltage broadcast that originated who knows how far away?   This doesn't
sound like a "point-source" to me.  Does it to anyone else?

Amusing, indeed. I was on the staff of WESU in Middletown, Connecticut 1959-1963. When I arrived, the station used a 5-watt AM carrier current system, and we were heard all over campus. It wasn't just a question of "close to an outlet" -- we could be heard just about anywhere inside the campus electrical system, though with varying quality. We switched to low-power FM in about 1961, but the old carrier current system certainly demonstrated how well all that wiring worked as an antenna.

73, Pete N4ZR Check out the World HF Contest Station Database Updated 9 Jan 04 www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm