RFI

Re: [RFI] BPL--FCC Proposed Rules//We Need to Respond

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] BPL--FCC Proposed Rules//We Need to Respond
From: Martin Ewing <martin@aa6e.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 16:06:13 -0500
We set up a carrier current AM system at our college in the 1960's.  It had
(IIRC) a 5 watt 540 kHz transmitter installed in each dormitory and coupled to
the AC downstream from the pole transformer, at 120/240 vac.  It was enough to
get a signal everywhere in the building.  We had to do a signal strength survey
to show that the radiated level was down to xx microvolts/meter a few hundred
feet away from the building.  The bandwidth was naturally limited to ~10 kHz,
and the interference potential was pretty low.

I'm not sure the exact relevance to current BPL, except that the laws of physics
have probably not changed since then.

73- Martin, AA6E

N6KJ wrote:
As I was rereading the NPRM today, I noticed something interesting that
I haven't heard anyone else mention.

In the very last paragraph on page 2 of the NPRM, there is a footnote
that says:

Campus radio systems have been operating for over fifty years in the United States at many universities as unlicensed broadcast radio stations in the AM
Broadcast band, see 47 C.F.R. § 15.221. Initially, the receiver and signal
source were attached to the same electric power line. After the advent of the transistor radio, receivers are sensitive enough to be able to pick up enough radiated signal for adequate reception when placed next to the electric power line in a dormitory or other locations on the electric power lines. See also, e.g., X-10 products for home automation at <http://www.X10.com>, and products conforming to ANSI/EIA-600.31-97 Power Line Physical Layer and Medium Specification (CEBus Standard).

The BPL proponents continue to insist that power lines will not radiate
like an antenna and that their equipment appears as a "point-source"
radiator. If that's true, then why is it possible to place an AM
BC band radio near the electrical outlet in a dorm room and receive a low-voltage broadcast that originated who knows how far away? This doesn't
sound like a "point-source" to me. Does it to anyone else?