RFI

RE: [RFI] Broadband over Power Line (BPL) radio interference

To: <rfi@contesting.com>, <bplandhamradio@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [RFI] Broadband over Power Line (BPL) radio interference
From: "Hare,Ed, W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 18:17:40 -0400
Well, I guess you are now a hindrance instead of a help now, too, Tom. :-)

I have been glad to share the information I have with anyone who wants to do
some serious BPL work, either by putting them in touch with responsible local
teams or, if those don't exist, by first ensuring that they are not the type
who will do "testing" in a way that is disruptive of a neighborhood. In some
cases, the local hams have been given extraordinary cooperation from the local
utilities, but under the strict understanding that what the hams do will not be
disruptive. And all it takes is one yahoo to undermine all of that, setting
back the work of dozens of volunteers. And anyone who thinks that no ham would
be a yahoo is really not being very realistic.

When you consider all that is at stake, being careful with information that
some local amateurs have chosen to guard closely to maintain their productive
relationship is far from what ham here called "a hindrance." Those who would
hate the League over my choice will soon find another reason to hate the
League.  One phone call or email exchange is usually all it has taken for me to
send hams right to the streets they need to see. One such ham was Dave Hallidy,
who has done some extraordinary work in Penn Yan.

Now, if we can find those volunteers to take on some of the web-page updates
without having to be publically insultive in the process, we can make a bit of
progress today. :-)

Ed Hare, W1RFI
ARRL Laboratory Manager
225 Main St
Newington, CT 06013
Tel: 860-594-0318
Internet: W1RFI@arrl.org
Web: http://www.arrl.org/tis
Member: ASC C63 EMC Committee
   Chairman: Subcommittee 5, Immunity
   Chairman: Ad hoc BPL Working Group
Member: IEEE SCC-28 RF Safety
Member: Society of Automotive Engineers EMC/EMR Committee