RFI

Re: [RFI] Power Line Noise in Indonesia

To: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Power Line Noise in Indonesia
From: "Chuck O'Neal" <cdoneal@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 10:52:20 -0400
In my years of locating and having the local, very cooperative, power company
repair line noises, we have found that the vast majority of radiated line noise
is due to bad splices, connections and tie wires, not insulators.  The
characteristic of a noisy connection is that it goes away during rain.  The few
insulator problems seen were worsened during rain.

Also, the radiation comes from the power lines and as a result, the radiation
pattern changes depending upon the monitoring frequency.  Power lines are nice
long wire radiators.  In fact, when tuning across the entire spectrum while
listening to a power line noise, you can hear peaks and nulls in the pattern as
the pattern of the "long wire" antenna changes with frequency, especially in
the range of 10 to 50 MHz.

Identifying the location of the noise is sometimes difficult, particularly on
the low end of the HF spectrum where you can hear the noise level vary as a
function of wavelength as you drive along, especially with a AM car radio.  I
use an Icom R-10 handheld receiver with a hand held 7 element yagi tuned to 440
MHz to locate the noises.  At this frequency, the noise behaves like a point
source and easily identified due to the rapid attenuation as you move away from
the source.

Chuck...K1KW