RFI

Re: [RFI] Example of Rural Wi-Fi/Wi-Max

To: "Dave Bernstein" <dave.bernstein@comcast.net>,"'Ward Silver'" <hwardsil@centurytel.net>,"'RFI Reflector'" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Example of Rural Wi-Fi/Wi-Max
From: "Ford Peterson" <ford@cmgate.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 16:56:14 -0500
Interesting...  I thought I would jump in with 2 cents on this one.

I use an wireless connection for my connectivity.

Just for fun, I thought I would ask the owner what he used for the technical
side of things and referred to the Article link.  Here is his response...

**********************

We are currently using 802.11b, just like them, and are using the 200mw
equipment.  We are using the highest legal output allowed by the FCC, 4 Watts
EIRP at the antenna.

You are most definitely getting the best on the market! :)

Sounds like our network is like theirs.  We have the mobility like they do and
are now up to 10 towers.  I haven't calculated our square miles yet and should
do that for giggles.

Regards,

P.S. Early next year, we will be able to deliver 25 Mbits/sec to the home if
anyone wants it, heh!  That is about 17 T-1's if anyone is counting! :)

**********************

25 Mbits/sec ain't all bad.

Here is a map of his proposed towers in my back yard...

http://www.xtratyme.com/backbone.html

More details are here, like the 60 T-1 pipe..  And the 6000 square miles of MN.
 Big network!

http://www.xtratyme.com/details.html

I pay $39.95 / month.  I hope George Bush keeps beating on these guys to drop
the price.  I would love to pay <$20/month!

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com