RFI

Re: Re: [RFI] 160 Meter Interference

To: "Jim Miller" <JimMiller@STL-Online.Net>,"Bill Gaines" <gaines@wcoil.com>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Re: [RFI] 160 Meter Interference
From: <wx5l@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 14:48:12 +0000
Hello,
Electrical arcing is broad and does not exhibit frequency gaps like in this
case 90 khz. The noise sounds like it's from a free running oscillator in some
sort of electrical componet. Kinda sounds like RFI from a router/switch/hub
device.

If Bill has a beam try and get a direction of strongest signal. With that
information in hand a small portable receiver I would start walking in that
direction tuned to a signal peak. This type of RFI doesn't travel far so I
would expect it to be anywhere from his next door neighbor to maybe 1/4 mile.
As you get closer you can collasp the whip antenna to reduce the sensitivity to
get even closer.

73, Randy