RFI

Re: [RFI] NOISE GADGETS

To: Tom Rauch <w8ji@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] NOISE GADGETS
From: David Jordan <wa3gin@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 18:25:41 -0500
I've used these filters for decades and they blow away everything discussed on this thread to date. And I've tried them all. So, I'm speaker from practical experience.

They don't unbalance the line in fact I ran them on my verizon data line
with excellent results. I've tried the so called best solution and it hasn't worked in many applications. So, I guess your experience is different from mine.

73,
dave
wa3gin

Tom Rauch wrote:

(A) A common surplus AC brute force line filter will do a

splendid job

of removing RF from your house phone lines. Place the line

side towards

the NIC and the load side towards the phone instrument/s.

Ground the

metal case.

I don't think so.

Line filters, since they are designed to pass only 60 Hz,
generally employ large capacitors. They will unbalance the
telco lines and load the lines down....and almost always
have much less RF impedance than even the poorest RF
filters.

The best solution is to use two RF chokes, one in each wire,
of 1000uH or higher. Place a cap across the line at the
input and output, but don't go bigger than .001uF (1000pF )
and be sure the cap handles at least 1kV.