RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI- TVI & YOUR POWER COMPANY

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI- TVI & YOUR POWER COMPANY
From: Dave NØRQ <n0rq-lists@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 17:01:30 -0600
I agree that it can be very frustrating.  I have had bad power line
noise, on and off, for several years.  I've written emails, made
phone calls, and gotten modest results.  When it seems like little
was being done, I wrote a nice, long, detailed, but graciously
firm letter to the CEO, certified mail, return receipt, and copied
the utility's maintenance head, and also copied the ARRL
technical coordinator for the section.  That DID get their
attention.

I try to provide info for them, such as radarengineers.com,
for tools, and I also include a copy of a recent FCC
enforcement letter to another utility, so that they know it is
the LAW, not just a request from a wacky radio nut.

We should always be nice, sometimes firm, always persistent,
and of course should do all we can to locate the pole if possible.
Doing those things should eventually end up with positive results,
and the FCC complaint should be kept as a last resort -- though
an option that should be used if needed!

I would also say to document everything -- date, time, contents
of all emails, calls, and letters.  It could even be worthwhile
to videotape yourself with your RFI-finder, proving the noise
is there and comes from such-and-such a pole.

By the way, I have found that an Arrow handheld 70cm beam
(arrowantennas.com, 7 elements), with a handheld on AM
(Yaesu FT-50) works magic for finding offending poles.
Very directional, allowing pin-pointing with not a lot of effort.

--
Dave NØRQ