RFI

Re: [RFI] Computer cases and RFI

To: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>,"RFI List" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Computer cases and RFI
From: "Jim P" <jvpoll@dallas.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 18:39:03 -0600
Many of those comments I think were applicable
several computer generations ago, back in the era of
the TTL VAX 11/780 and the first few Intel into the
Wintel era PCs when very active board 'traces' may
have been on the top and/or bottom layers and used
grossly sized through-hole 'DIP' parts when Ball Grid
Array (BGA) and CS (Chip Scale) components used
today were still a gleam in the industry's eyes.

Today's machines with 533 MHz 'front side bus'
technology has to take a completely different view
of the signal 'world' at board level to 'make that stuff
work well'. I'm speaking as somebody who has
worked on fast TTL machines and was amazed,
at time with all the 'ringing' that we saw with a
scope, that that stuff worked at all, and some of
that stuff was built using wire-wrap technology
(probably THE WORST when it comes to maintaining
any signal integrity at all).

I have a 33 MHz 386 that has certain apps on it
that I can't migrate easily to a Pentium class
machine, and whenever I have to 'run' that machine
I am reminded how poor the inherent 'shielding' is
by the 'jamming' that machine does to CH 11 TV
and even an 800 MHz frequency that the local trunked
system uses. The layout and inter-chip wiring in those
days was gross, coupled with physically huge leaded
parts - compared to today's PCs with much improved
board layouts, BGA technlogy, judicious use of interlay
ground planes and apparently much more knowledgeable
use of multilayer boards which provide an environment
suitable for the stable, clean, non-glitched operation
of a 533 MHz front side bus.

Jim P   // WB5WPA  //