RFI

Re: [RFI] Computer cases and RFI

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Computer cases and RFI
From: Tim Groat <tcgroat@mesanetworks.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 19:53:55 -0700
The requirements for PC's custom assembled from tested component under a
"Declaration of Conformity" are in sections 15.32 and 15.102 of the FCC
rules <http://www.fcc.gov/oet/info/rules/part15/part15-91905.pdf>. They
don't mention approvals for cases per se, but the approval rules for CPU
boards implies the case is expected provide at least 6dB shielding
effectiveness. But there's nothing I see in the regulations that requires
the cases to meet any performance test of their own. With only 6dB being
expected of them anyway, the cases really aren't that big an issue for
rules enforcement. The shop is probably in the clear as long as they use
tested CPU boards, power supplies, and peripherals, and apply the correct
markings to the unit ("Assembled from tested components..."). The idea is
that machines built from tested parts will pass the FCC emissions test as a
whole--but reality is another matter, with clock and bus speeds higher for
each new processor generation.

73,
--Tim (KR0U)